Ferguson Police shoot and Kill Unarmed Man
The news and pictures pouring in from Ferguson Missouri are shocking and difficult to comprehend. This past Saturday Ferguson Police shot and killed Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old man with no criminal record. Adding to the tragedy and outrage is a public statement from an eyewitness that contradicts the police officer’s account of the shooting.
Some Basic Uncontested Facts:
- Ferguson’s population is about 20,000 people, about 2/3 are black.
- Ferguson’s Police force has 53 members, all but three are white, the police Chief is white.
- An eyewitness asserts that the police officer shot Michael Brown at least three times, results from the autopsy have not been released.
- The officer who fired the shots has not yet been named, which is understandable in the immediate aftermath for his protection, but it has now been 5 full days, enough time to protect the officer and his family from vigilante justice.
- There is an ongoing investigation by The Department of Justice and FBI.
- Thursday afternoon, August 14th, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon reassigned Ferguson security from the St. Louis County Police to the Missouri Highway Patrol, led by Captain Ronald Johnson who is also a local resident. Governor Nixon also promised a significant change in police tone.
- Thursday evening’s protest was peaceful, monitored by the Highway Patrol in normal police attire.
The Missouri Governor’s Statement on Ferguson
Change in a single day because of respect and understanding
The recent events in Ferguson present a lesson for all Americans. The public does have a right to peacefully protest a police shooting, and the press must always stay free to report on any such protests as long as they do not interfere. We all just got a glimpse of society had the Nazis won the war, let’s make sure we never ever see it again!
Admiral Rudolph Flügelhorn
Sources for this article:
- The New York Times – Missouri-teenager-and-officer-scuffled-before-shooting-chief-says
- Washington Post – Why-the-police-shooting-riots-in-ferguson-mo-had-little-to-do-with-ferguson/
- Business Insider 13 Photos From The Protests In Ferguson, Missouri, You Won’t Believe Happened In The US
- The New York Times – Missouri Highway Patrol to Direct Officers in Ferguson, Governor Says
- Washington Post Politics – White House walks a careful line on Ferguson
- ProPublica – Just How Much Can the State Restrict a Peaceful Protest?
- Wall Street Journal – Protestors, Police Clash for Another Night in Ferguson
- The Verge – Ferguson Missouri, is-this-how-a-dystopia-starts
- Missouri Revised Statutes – August 28th, 2013 – Unlawful Assembly
- Newsweek – How America’s Police Became an Army
- Freguson Missouri Municipal Code – Unlawful Assembly
- BuzzFeed – Ferguson Police in Riot Gear Targeting Civilian
- Ferguson Missouri – Core-Values-and-Mission-Statement
- Bill Moyers – Not Just Ferguson: 11 Eye-Opening Facts About America’s Militarized Police Forces
- AmericaBlog.com – Missouri GOP – Proposing Gun Control Should be a Felony
- Missouri Revised Statutes – August 28th, 2013 – Chapter 574 – Offenses Against Public Orde
- US News – Opinion – Ferguson-missouri-police-shoot-black-teen-michael-brown-pundits-react
- The Free legal Assembly – Unlawful Assembly
- US Legal – Unlawful Assembly
- The Christian Science Monitor – Mike-Brown-shooting-Ferguson-police-being-prudent-or-circling-the-wagons-video
- Bloomberg View -Jack-booted-thugs-with-nra-approval?
- The Washington Post – Meet the Missouri Highway State Patrol captain who is taking over in Ferguson
- USA Today – Michael Brown Timeline
- USA Today – Ferguson Missouri Police
- Yahoo News – Why do Ferguson’s police officers look like soldiers?